Sunday, November 18, 2012

Chapter 15- To Use A Toilet



Chapter 15- To Use A Toilet

                “I got this. Seriously.” Peter hastily mumbles across the table to Helen.
                She doesn’t respond, simply shooting him a brief glance. Craig was actually setting his cake down between the two and there was no way he wouldn’t hear any comment she made to Peter.


                “Have a nice shower?” Peter asked trying his hardest not to burst into laughter.
                Craig sat motionless for a moment as Helen fought the giggles.
                “It was fabulous. Not nearly as warm as my bath though,” Craig shot back at Peter. It was too much for the duo who collapsed into laughter at Craig’s embarrassment.


                Helen was the first to recover. She finished her cake as Peter and Craig also regained their composure.
                Throwing one final look of warning at Peter Helen got up to clear the empty plates at the small table.


                “You know Mom has a new boyfriend, right,” Peter had decided that throwing Kristine under the bus might be the best way to get his way. He had only a little longer before he would be allowed to choose which parents he wanted to live with, but he was ready now.
                Craig merely grunted in response. He didn’t care one way or another what Kristine did, so long as the kids were ok. They were still legally heirs to the family business and it was very much in his interest to figure out which one would be in charge eventually.
                Peter noted the glazed look Craig had adopted and took a slightly different tack with his dad.
                “She’s got Bernadette paying the bills for her,” Peter pressed. “It’s too much stress! All of them wanting money, more money, much more money,” Peter imitated his mother’s voice very well. He was hoping to insinuate that Kristine misspent the Child Support which was supposed to support the kids, not her. It was no secret in town how lavishly she spent.
                Craig didn’t reply. Instead, he finished off his cake and moved to clean up his and Peter’s empty plates.
                Peter could sense he was getting close to his goal and got up to follow. He wasn’t going to let this opportunity slip away.


                Peter cornered Craig between the trash compacter and bar and started again.
                “Helen is doing all the laundry now Mom fired the maid,” Peter said. “She said the maid was eating up too much money and that Helen should earn her keep. I’m excited though. I managed to repair the bathtub and downstairs toilet all on my own. I’m still trying to figure out what’s wrong with the others, but I know I’ll get there, then we won’t all have to use the same bathroom.”


                “Wow son!” Craig enthused. “That’s great! Those skills can really help you later on down the line. But you might want to call a plumber if you’re having a difficult time figuring out the others.”
                Peter ducked his head and scuffed his foot along the floor. Quickly, he peeked up at Craig to make sure his dad’s eyes were on him.
                “Well,” he said, affecting a sheepish air. “See, Mom won’t let me call for any repairmen. They overcharge for their labor, and their work doesn’t always last.”
                Again, he swiftly glanced up at Craig hoping to see some indignation on his face.


                “Mom doesn’t think they should be called ‘professionals’ if there can’t be a lifetime guarantee on their work. Says it’s just a grab for someone else’s money,” Peter reached up and rubbed the back of his head, trying to look seriously at Craig.


                “Maybe I can pay for the work, and then you won’t have to worry so much about it,” Craig offered generously. He had rather missed his sons point.
                “I don’t know about that. Mom really doesn’t want you to know that things are getting kind of run down at home.


                “You know though, it doesn’t look like you are sharing toilets here… Maybe I could just come over here.” Peter was trying very hard at nonchalance. “If you’d let me, of course.”


                “Hey! That would mean I could see you more!” Peter’s tone had taken on an almost pleading tone. “I really miss you and William, Dad.” 


                Hearing this, Craig swept Peter into a tight hug. ‘Poor kid must have things really rough if he wants to travel all the way over here just to use a toilet,’ Craig thought. It completely slipped his grasp what Peter had really said. Craig was a negligent parent at best, though he didn’t seem to realize it.


                “You know,” Peter began when Craig had finally released him. “Maybe I could just come and live with you! You’re fixing to have two extra beds when Velma and Daphne move out. And if I’m living with you, you won’t have to pay child support any more!”


                Craig had finally listened to what Peter was saying. He was a little shocked. He hadn’t even fought for the kids when Kristine had left. The only thing about parenting he understood was ‘kids need their mother.’
                “Look Peter,” he began. “You need your mother. And I’m sure Bernadette and Helen need your support at your house. Besides, it's not too long-“
                “It's not too long until I will be allowed to make my own choice,” Peter interrupted. “And my choice is here. Mom pays us no attention, but expects us to take care of her. I’m tired of it. I want out, Dad. Please.”
                Craig silently considered his son for a moment. Life with Kristine had never been exactly easy; he’d always been walking on eggshells with her. He could certainly imagine that the kids had been forced to pick up where he left off. His lawyers could easily take care of the matter if he asked. But he really didn’t want a legal battle, those were so draining.


                “Ok,” Craig said. “I’ll talk to your mother about it and see if she’ll be amenable to you moving in with us.”
                He had taken a breath to continue when, again, Peter interrupted him.


“Oh,” Peter said. “But I-I just couldn’t leave Helen. Helen and Kristine are constantly fighting. I always have to come in between them to stop the shouting. Do you think Helen could move in, too?”
                Peter tried to look as innocent as possible as he said it. Helen really did need to get away from Kristine. Her grades were suffering from the stress and it wasn’t fair that he should leave her with Bernie and Kristie. They could be sickening when left alone too long feeding off of each other.


                Craig smiled indulgently.
                “Of course Helen could move in too,” he placated. “Do you think Bernadette would like to move in as well?”
                “No,” Peter said a little quickly. “I mean, she really is mom’s right hand, and I think it would crush both of them to be separated. If she wants to move out she hasn’t said so. Besides, she’ll be of age in two years and will be able to make her own decision.”
                “If you say so. I’ll call my lawyers first thing in the morning. I’m sure they can come to an agreement with Kristine,” Craig’s tone was soothing. “I’ll even call her myself tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I can get you both in here by the end of next week.”


                “That,” Peter said with a large grin. “That would be just perfect.”

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
                First off, I’m very sorry that the writing in this one was very stilted. I simply didn’t feel it and had a terrible time trying to get into a flow... I didn’t. However, after essentially rewriting it like 8 times as I worked on it I finally just gave up. This is the final product. I promise it’ll get better.
                I’m gearing up to begin my transition to the Random Legacy Challenge style of play. I want the founder of that challenge to be one of Craig’s kids and I want to be able to choose between more than just William. I hadn’t planned on doing that exactly, but Peter and Helen are fantastically good looking. So I’m going to choose between the 3 of them. I completely understand that if I don’t end up choosing William I’ve effectively created a 20 chapter prologue that is completely meaningless to the challenge. Oopsie.
                If you’re wondering what happened to the rest of the birthday party, and its guests, I’ll leave you with this: 
                Lots of happy folks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment