Thursday, November 1, 2012

Chapter 10- A Rabbit Named Alice



Chapter 10- A Rabbit Named Alice

                The gate out front banged closed and Craig walked briskly into the house. He knew he would be missing Heather grow up, but he wanted to talk to her all the same.


                “Look,” he began without preamble. “I know that you and William have broken up. But I want you to know that if you need a home this house is still open to you.” Craig had been very worried Heather might do something desperate in the line of her mother if he didn’t step in.


                “Of course, we’d also understand if you’d prefer a place of your own.” He didn’t even give her time to break in.



                “If you’d prefer to move out, I’ll be more than happy to help you find and purchase a place and furnish it as well. Just know that you’re welcome here and we’d never turn you out without anything.”


                “You know, with the breakup and all, I think I would be more comfortable moving out. You don’t have to help me with anything though Mr.Blue.” Heather had never been able to call him Craig. She just couldn’t do it.


                “I think I’m going to go down to the Bistro downtown and apply for a job in the morning. I’m sure that after a few weeks’ pay I’ll be able to pay my own way.” Heather was eager to tell him the plans that had barely begun to form. Voicing them aloud was a little nerve racking. It felt like she had to commit to them now, no matter what.


                “Heather,” Craig interrupted a touch impatiently. “I own the Bistro. I know that you will not be able to get your own place and eat as well after a few weeks of bussing tables there.” He paused hoping his cold dose of reality would sink in. “Please let me help you get a place. I’ll really worry about you if you won’t let me. It won’t hurt us one iota to do something good for someone who did so much good for my son.” He was nearly pleading now. She had pride now that she had gotten away from her mother. He’d hate for her to let that stand in his way.
                After a moment or two, Heather had made up her mind.


                Craig would buy her a flat and she would furnish it using his credit. That way he knew she had a roof and furnishings and he could let her conscience guide her in how she furnished her new place.
                Heather had only a twinge of regret that she was leaving such a comfortable home. And yet, despite herself, she was getting a little excited at the prospect of trying her wings. It would be good to know that she could take care of herself in the world.


                William had gone over the piano. His musical pounding drowned out the sound of Heather and Craig in the nearby kitchen.


                It was the song he had written for Heather. Now, in a way, he was playing it for her even though she wasn’t in the same room. She could hear it from the kitchen, and he hoped she would listen.


                Marcie had always loved hearing him play any instrument in the house and lately had taken a real shine to this particular song. She wandered as close to the open lid as William would let her get. She loved watching the hammers jump, flying across the shining strings. Sometimes she’d watch open mouthed as his fingers danced along the keyboard, a sight and sound that delighted her. She was in ballet and hoped she could one day be as graceful as his hands were.


                William caught Craig listening, tapping his foot in time behind him.
                “I changed the lyrics,” he announced sharply over his shoulder. “It’s now about a rabbit named Alice.”
                Craig smiled.  “I changed her life, too.”
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

                Craig is a bit of a stuffed shirt. I’ve never really filled his character out outside of his relationships as, in a way, I’ve decided that he defines himself by his relationship status. So I guess I haven’t filled his character out because people like that piss me off. In the words of the Iconic Ru Paul: “How the hell you gonna love somebody else if you can’t love yourself?”
I guess I should throw this in too. Whitley and Hale spoiled their kids really bad. They also didn’t make them do much actual work and just gave it to them all. Craig felt and saw his parents love, but didn’t really experience it in his opinion. It’s why he has no respect for money and is a bit of a lap dog. He wants to be spoiled and petted, taken care of and adored. He doesn’t know what to do with kids in general and thinks his small gesture for Heather is not only admirable, but astoundingly kind. He doesn’t really take any time to get to know them and in all reality, they are kind of in his way. He is first in his mind, and can’t really understand why he’s not first with everyone else. His siblings were fairly much the same. Except Christalyn. She felt incredible cheated that she didn’t have a chance to inherit and is still bitter.
                Also, I screwed up on one of the shots. You can see Lily Pad’s feet and glowy thingy. Oopsie.

No comments:

Post a Comment