Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chapter 5- Venemous


Chapter 5- Venomous

                Kristine had grabbed a book and sat down beside Craig. She had seen he was reading and was trying to keep him happy, for a little longer at least. However, he had almost immediately closed his book and sat staring out the window of the upstairs library. Kristine had not noticed his actions though, as she had, quite against her will, found ‘How Not To Be Seen’ rather engaging.


                Craig had been ready for this for a while. He noticed something was wrong and wanted it to be aired. He couldn’t stand seeing his wife so angry all the time. She was being almost cruel to William, and with William’s girlfriend scheduled to move in that day he wanted a happy environment.

                “Kristine?” Craig asked. “Can we talk?”

                Slowly, she set the book aside and stood to face Craig.


                “What is wrong with you?” Craig’s question was a little too bald. His words stung as a physical blow.


                Kristine reared back, ready to attack.

                “What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you and your son is where we should begin.”

                “Freaks.” She crooned softly noting that Craig wasn’t yet aware of what was coming. He was even ignoring his phone.

                “Do you even realize what you did? You bought a child bride. How sick. You expected me to take on an adult role when I was still a child. Bastard.” Kristine barely spoke above a whisper, but the venom in her words made them an almost sibilant hiss.

                “You left me to care for and raise your idiotic son. Where were you?” Her voice was rising now in her anger against Craig.

                “Traumatized by his lunacy and oddities I was then expected to grow up too soon to be a mother and then a wife for a man who cares for nothing save his family’s business and career. You so far forgot your own son that the entire town thinks he’s a freak. I won’t have my kids around him any longer.”

                Craig had not been expecting any of this. William was harmless and mostly kind and gentle. Why was she so vicious towards him? Not to mention he had brought her into his household and had taken care of her; his money had helped her family. He was around plenty. Didn’t the existence of the triplets prove that?

                Craig stepped back a moment to get a better look at Kristine, whose chest heaved as her hands balled into fists and relaxed again over, and over. He had thought that maybe she needed a vacation, now he thought she needed a shrink.

                As if she could read what he was thinking, Kristine lashed out at Craig one final time.

                “I don’t need anyone else to tell me what a crazy family I’ve landed in. I’m out. We’re no longer family. I want a divorce.” Craig recoiled at her words.

                “I’m out of here and my kids are out with me. I don’t want them exposed to someone who thinks taking children to be married is ok, neither do I want them around a freak boy.”

                “Kristine-“ Craig began.

                “No,” she replied.  “I’m through.”

                “It’s over Craig,” Kristine said the words carefully to make sure he heard each of them loud and clear.

                Craig stood back and looked carefully at her. It felt as though he were seeing her for the first time. If she wanted to leave, then she could leave. He would force no one to live with him.

                If she wanted to leave so badly, she could be out in a few hours. Good riddance.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Sunshyne's note to Shakespeare-
I hated her. And to finalize her character- After I moved her out Story Progression kept sending me notices about how she'd flirt with just about any man in town. In at least 4 instances she managed to break up the marriage those men were in, date them for like 2 days, and then dump them. First ever man-eater in my town. She made a lot of enemies. Teehee...

No comments:

Post a Comment